Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Little Patch of Heaven

Yesterday I took a long walk to the beach. It took me a while during the day to figure out if I wanted to do anything.. and once again, the ocean was my retreat. Seems to be the only place that feels safe to have thoughts that might otherwise distress me. Plus I loved the walk. It has been so hot here! But clear skies and a walk around a lake to get to the ocean.. not too much I can really complain about. I brought my journal there and planted myself on the low part of the cliff nearest the beach entrance and wrote. I wrote about life, the ocean, posed questions to myself. It was a much needed downtime/"me time" session. I laid in the warm patch of sand and listened to the chatter and laughter of the people who entered the beach, the sea breeze and the slow rhythm of the waves and let the sun drench my body... and I felt like I could breathe, my head was at ease and I could have stayed in that little patch of heaven forever.

I wanted so badly then to be on a boat. To be laying on the bow of a sailboat and feel the rocking of the waves beneath me and to have the ultimate feeling of solitude. As Jamie Cullum sings it, to be "all at sea." But I was startled out of my peaceful state by the cutest puppy delivering an old, dirty sock, and running away to get a stick, setting it down for me, and ran back to get some other stick and brought it to me and sat there, for just a moment, before its dad called it over. That's when I decided to go home and be with my girls, and watch the Britney Spears Glee episode. Because that makes a day better. :)


You don't need it every day
But sometimes don't you just crave

To disappear within your mind
You never know what you might find
So come and spend some time with me
We will spend it all at sea
Like a warm drink it seeps into my soul
Please just leave me right here on my own
Later on you could spend some time with me
If you want to
All at sea
-"All at Sea" Jaime Cullum

No comments:

Post a Comment