Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Life's Little Surprises

Today, on my way home from work, do you know what I noticed? Leaves. Leaves on the ground. The leaves of FALL! How had I not noticed this until today? Living in the moment is living with little surprises everyday.

I met a little girl at work.. she helped me put things away, and talked with me, and showed me how she could skip. She had lots of questions, and she reminded me of my nannying days. For just a second I wanted to be back there, baking cookies in holiday shapes this time of year, playing in the pile of leaves outside the house, building forts and having popcorn inside them.. getting an excuse to be a kid again. But I made myself come back to the present. Who the hell says you need an excuse to be a kid at any given moment? Sure I might be getting older, but so what? Why did I suddenly feel like I had lost those things that I had while nannying? Just because I don't get to spend my days with one of the greatest kids I've had the pleasure to care for, doesn't mean that I can't continue on with the things she instilled in my spirit. Things that were already there anyway. When the girl from the store was leaving, she told me she would come back soon and she would be looking for me. I had to smile. "Don't you worry," I told her, "I'll be around. I'll wait right here." Excuse me, inner-child? I'm not sure why I had you on time-out.. but you are welcome to come out and play. Also, old-soul of mine? Why don't you hold the inner-child's hand and work together.. I feel like that would be best.

My world is changing for the better. Home improvement for the body/mind is cheaper anyway.. but worth much more. Focusing on my present day 10.

1 comment: