Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Incomplete Picture

Today I let myself sleep in. After a night of unsettling dreams and a pulled fire alarm at 3 AM, I decided to give myself a slower morning than usual. I love Thursdays since I have them mostly free and I am allowed to breathe so that I can take on Friday and approach my weekend with energy.

So as I went down to our dining hall for a simple breakfast and a cup of coffee, I brought along my latest book and sat myself by the window so that I could enjoy the sunshine that has graced us this past week. So as I sat in the semi-silence that is quiet private conversations of morning and birds outside announcing the day's beauty, I couldn't help thinking that this seemed so familiar and yet so incomplete. But I remembered what I needed. I needed to be at least four stories up, sitting on a balcony surrounded by a wrought iron railing, with the morning's humid breeze coming in right off the ocean just beyond the resort grounds. I needed soft Spanish music to be starting up below me and the activities director (Cesar) to begin water aerobics with cute old women in wide brim hats and one-piece bathing suits. I needed slightly swaying palm trees and gardeners watering the most beautiful flowers below. I needed the sound of flip-flopped beach-goers walking below me. I needed to be the only person of my family awake and to be sitting on this balcony in boxer shorts and a tank top with some fantastic book I was reading for pleasure and could not put down. I need brightly colored Spanish tiles and open-air lobbies. I needed Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I need our condo at Vallarta Torre. My whole body longs for it like no other. I miss you Puerto Vallarta, and I look forward to my return.

I need warmth and a beach so bad it hurts.




























No comments:

Post a Comment