Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Summertime and the Livin' is Easy

I'm ready for summer. Of course I love living in the city, but I need the summer's sunny warmth. I love nothing more than when everyone smells of sun screen or chlorine and when tan lines begin to form. When you can venture out at night in shorts and a tank top. Where the smell of freshly cut grass emanates more often, and the bees think more people are flowers because of all the lightly colored clothing. The times when you can spend a whole lazy day in your bathing suit, hopping in and out of the pool. Where more days can be spent barefooted and free spirited. I miss falling asleep under trees at the park and waking at sunset with grass in my hair. I miss trips to the beach with the chaos of tourists and children and sand castles. I miss picnics. I long for summer's lemonade on the lawn and backyard BBQs. It may all seem like a dream, but that's because it is. I am dreaming of summer, my summer. And I cannot wait until it's here.

"One of these mornings/You're going to rise up singing/Then you'll spread your wings/And you'll take to the sky/But until that morning/There's a'nothing can harm you/With your daddy and mammy standing by/Summertime,/And the livin' is easy..."
-"Summertime" George Gershwin

No comments:

Post a Comment